Need info!! (rearend ratio change under warranty)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 15:22:17 EDT

  As you may already know, my rearend bit the dust so my truck has
been into the dealer for a warranty repair. I have a '96 Club Cab with a
3.55 sure grip. I asked the service manager to check into the chances of
getting the 3.55 replaced with a 3.90. I told him that I would be willing to
pay extra to do it if it wasn't do-able under warranty. He said he would
call me and let me know before they did any work on it, but today when
I went in, my truck was up on the lift, and had brand new 3.55s in it,
with no attempt by the service dept. to get ahold of me! ARGHHH!! :-(

  Only the sales guys were there since its Saturday. He said that maybe
their hands were tied by Chrysler since it is a warranty repair, or maybe
a 3.90 sure grip wasn't available in that year, or maybe I would need a
different housing for the 3.90s. He said the service guys would be in at
8am on Monday and I should check with them then. It still ticks me off
that they didn't even make an attempt to get in touch with me to give
me this info. :-(

  So, basically I was hoping to get any info I can before then. Does
anyone know if a 3.90 sure-grip was available in a 1996 club cab? Is
it a different housing, or would it be a direct swap? Would the warranty
repair disallow the swap? If I had them install 3.90s, would the warranty
then be void since the truck came with 3.55s?

  I'd call the CC warranty number for the warranty info, but they won't
be open until 8:30 am on Monday. :-(

  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |