Re: V8 4 X 2

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 10:01:46 EDT

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 WardenJ@kmacorp.com wrote:

> Hello
> I heard from an online review of the '97 Dakota that V8 buyers better order
> 4 X 4 or it will do lots of sliding on slippery roads. I am interested in buying
> a Dakota and was wondering whether anyone has experienced anything like that or
> if it was probably B.S. Thank you
> Dan K.

   Sounds like yer typical wimpy consumer magazine to me. ;-)

  I guess it depends on what they consider slippery. If the roads are
covered with ice, the 4x4's will slide just as far as the 4x2s. A 4x4 would
definitely get through the snow better, but I'm assuming they're talking
about wet roads?

  When I ordered my V8, the dealer said that I might want to get a 6,
since they just had someone trade in their V8 Dakota on a V6 because it
spun on wet roads. (I think they were trying to sell some of the 6's on
their lot.) Its never happened to me though. I can understand it happening
if you drive like a hamfisted yokel, but with a little finesse, there's
absolutely no problem. A sure-grip would be a good option to order. When
the roads are wet, I can spin the tires on my '96 Club Cab 3.55 w/sure-grip
through 4th gear if I want to; or I can also take off in 1st without any
spin whatsoever.

   So, its not like its a dangerous problem or anything, but you do
have to adjust your driving technique when it starts to get slippery.
However, that's something you should do in *any* vehicle, 4x4 or no. With
all the technological advances in passenger cars, I think people are
starting to forget that.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |