Re: Supercharger on a RT? Any pics out there?

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 13:03:56 EDT

   I may have missed it, but I didn't see any exhaust mods on that R/T. If
the Y-pipe is as restrictive on the R/T as it is on the standard Magnum V-8
like mine, I can see why the supercharger didn't help his times much. I've
noticed on my V-8 (only a wimpy 5.2L ^_^ ) the exhaust necks down to and inch
and a half at the y-pipe turn point. This is a ton of back-pressure, IMO. A
3" pipe into the engine and an 1 1/2" out? (who am I to second guess Chrysler
Engineers) Add a supercharger to that and you're still stuffing air into a
slow drain. I'd think that R/T would do much better with an exhaust overhaul.
   A clear breathing exhaust will be the first *REAL* preformance mod my Dak
gets. I've decided to go with the Mopar Headers & bolt-up Y-Pipe, the factory
Cat, a "Straight Through" muffer (maybe a Thrush Glass-pack), and just enough
pipe to dump the exhaust down and away from the truck at the rear tire. That
should wake up my neighbors in the morning. ^_^
   Any intake mods are mostly useless until the exhaust get's freed up, in my
view.

Shaun H.