Re: 46RE Tranny

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 23:59:36 EDT

Yes you can adjust the shift point to some extent.
The only things that are electronic on these trany's are converter
lock-up,
overdrive shift, and it does have an electronic gov.
You still can adjust the shift points with the TV cable.
If the trany's were fully electronic ( no TV ) I would agree with you,
but they
still use a manual TV to control the kick down and the shift points. The
only
thing that the computer does to control shift firmness and to some
extent the
shift points is with the electronic GOV. but this is only under part
throttle
and has no effect on WOT.
This is why installing the JET stage II chip firms up the part throttle
shifts
( it increases the gov. pressure a little more ).
Believe me that these things are a little tricky and Yes a shift kit (
TRANSGO
) is the only way to. All that the shift kit does is up the pressure in
different areas and gives you the holes to enlarge in the plate as well
as the
VB.
I have had my VB off at least a dozen times to fine tune it. I opened up
a few
of the holes a little larger than the Kit said to do but it works very
well. I
call the TRANSGO tech man after doing this and he agreed that I had went
the
right way on everything.

FWIW
Colin H.

Well, my main problem is part throttle shifts. It sometimes wants to
shift back and forth between 2-3. It'll go from second, take an
agonizingly long time, not quite go into 3rd, then hit 2nd, then snap
into 3rd. At WOT, the shifts are fine, just to soft for my tastes.
They hit at the right points tho. SO adjust the tv cable WON'T affect
my part throttle shifts? And you're saying the JET module does? That
would be cool, since I am going to order mine tomorrow.

--
Drew Schofield
1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black