Re: 90+MPH Resonation

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 13:46:18 EDT

Donny M Hayes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick question--mainly to the other RT owners, but may apply to all.
> I have noticed a strange HUM (drone, vibration, ????) from my RT at high
> speeds. It normally starts about 85-90 and gets fairly bad by 100+. What
> could be causing this? I don't have any other strange vibrations at any
> other speed or RPM level. Could it be tires? Alignment? Slightly out of
> balance drive shaft? How do I explain to the dealer that my truck seems to
> hum at 100 mph?

I'm going to say the driveshaft. I think there are problems associated
with those aluminum pieces that CC is not admitting yet. The dealer
tells me they've changed the design a few times in the last few years.
That sounds like beta testing with Joe Public in my mind.

On my truck I get a whine under deceleration, much like the sound of a
ring and pinion not properly set up. The dealer tells me its the
aluminum driveshaft and that all the Club Cabs have it. But when I had
the truck in the dealer for a tranny problem at 500 miles, the loaner V6
Club Cab they gave me didn't have the noise. Sounds like I'm getting a
line, though I haven't followed up on it since. Anyone else with this
noise in their truck? Mine is a '98 5.2L Club, with a 3.92 rear end.

Bob