Re: detonation with only 4 lb or boost?

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 11:10:05 EDT

<< I'm seriously considering a Vortech for my RT but I just read a post
 about problems with detonation with more than 4 lb or boost. In my
 experience 4# is very little pressure for a 9:1 compression engine. Even
 if we do have iron heads it should not detonate with a 5 lb blower. >>

I run my boost retard on 0 on my Ram in any conditions , days, nights, etc...
no audible detonation.. usually keep it at 1 for safety. Stock Computer. I get
6psi at 5200rpm.

I also run with a guy that has a '97 4x4 that has no boost retard. He gets
8-9psi if he lets the truck shift, and 10-11 if he holds it in gear w/ his
2.75" pulley on his S-trim setup. Sometimes during the day or on hot summer
nights here in FL, he'll get some detonation, but that is easily cured by
higher octane fuel. He also uses a 160 deg thermo compared to my 180.

This may be different on the R/T, but I doubt it.

<< Are you guys using a colder spark plug? Vortech tend to calibrate their
FMUs to run on the rich side so I don't think you're running too lean. >>

I use the stock heat range plugs for now. Regular Autolites... My truck runs
real nice and rich under boost, too... FYI, The FMU in these kits are 12:1.

ttyl
Patrick