detonation with only 4 lb or boost?

From: Mok, Alan (AMok@spbank.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 10:49:41 EDT

I'm seriously considering a Vortech for my RT but I just read a post
about problems with detonation with more than 4 lb or boost. In my
experience 4# is very little pressure for a 9:1 compression engine. Even
if we do have iron heads it should not detonate with a 5 lb blower.

Is the computer's timing advance too aggressive? What's the static
timing on a 5.9? I would hate to retard the timing at this level because
you're just dumping some of the HP you sought with a blower in the first
place.

Are you guys using a colder spark plug? Vortech tend to calibrate their
FMUs to run on the rich side so I don't think you're running too lean.

Alan

'98 Dakota R/T (Headers, FABM & waiting for Shift kit)
'89 Mustang GT (347, Griggs, S-trim...)
Ducati 916 (someday)