Re: RE: detonation with only 4 lb or boost?

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 18:36:01 EDT

<< I am really quite
 skeptical
 of someone telling me that they can run 4 lbs boost in a stock Magnum engine
 and not have detonation and if someone told me 7 lbs, well they would need
 show me. >>

I use a larger cam, so maybe that has something to do with it. I might get
4lbs @ 4000rpm, and I know I dont get that much in the 2000-3000 rpm range
with the 3.125" pulley. I also said I have no audible detonation, or
detonation I can detect by ear... there may well could be, but I haven't run
the truck on a dyno nor do I have a knock sensor, that's why I keep my boost
retard at 1 for safety's sake.

Same is the case with the 4x4 that uses a 2.75" pulley with no boost retard.
His full size truck has gone low 14s at near 100mph with all terrain tires
with the right conditions.. no audible detonation. Aside from the blower, he's
running a mild "blower" cam, headers, a high flow cat into a custom bent cat-
back, and that's about his complete list of modifications. While his engine
may puff in the near future, it's been doing this for over a year now ..

ttyl
Patrick