Re: Axle Ratios

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 19:52:01 EDT

>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:12:21 -0400
>From: Joe t <fordf-series@juno.com>
>Subject: DML: Re: Axle Ratios

>On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:27:50 -0700 Joel Znamenacek <Joel@zracer.com>
>writes:
>
>Yeah, 3.90 will get you out of the gate faster than 3.21 and have more
>torque for pulling tree stumps.
>Joel I am thinking about buying a Dakota, and am wondering about axle
>ratios. Is the higher the ratios the faster your truck can
>accelerate?? JT
>
>What about a 3.55, the middle axle ratios availible from Dodge?

I have the 3.55 and tow a small camp trailer (about 2500 lbs) and have no
trouble maintaining highway speeds in the mountains. My truck (97 V8 4x4
clubcab auto) is rated to tow 4,800 lbs.

The beauty of the 3.55's is that you get great highway gas mileage when not
towing.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.