Re: What does R/T stand for anyway?

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 12:15:18 EDT

At 12:30 PM 9/17/98 , you wrote:

>I'm unsure of why the US manufacturers
>named the cars R/T or G/T here, but in Europe cars have had R/T and G/T
>designations since the 30's (Check out Ferrari, Jaguar, and Maserati mags and
>sites for specifics).

I think you just answered your own question, Shaun. I guess you're not old
enough to remember back to the 50's and early 60's, but back then European
cars were, for the most part, considered inferior to good old American iron
and not worth considering much less owning. Then sometime during the early
to mid-60's a growing group of American car buyers (mainly enthusiasts)
started buying European cars, not because they were better, but because
they were more fun (totally mortified the older generation :) ). Detroit,
always ready to run after the bandwagon after it has rolled by, started
making Americanized versions of enthusiasts cars which we now call "The
Holy And Exalted Muscle Car". And just to make sure that the Great Unwashed
Buying Public made no mistake about what Detroit was copying, they gave the
cars European sounding (ripped-off) model designations. Gotta love those
wacky Detroit auto execs.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

I would love to be doing all the things that my wife thinks I'm doing all the time.