RE: Re: O2 sensors, etc.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 16:42:57 EDT

At 07:13 PM 9/13/98 -0400, fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:
> <<Actually, they combine the oxygen with the hydrocarbons, producing
> CO2 and H2O, but they measure the oxygen content in the exhaust, hence
> the name 'Oxygen Sensor'. :-)>>
>
> I'm glad you mentioned that Gene... I knew that water was one of the
> byproducts, but is a lot of water coming out the tailpipe indicative
> of any kind of problem? It's probably just my imagination but it
> seems that a lot more water comes out of the tailpipe since I
> installed my JBA's...
>
> Seriously, I could probably back my truck up to my Mom's garden and
> water it by just running the engine for 15 minutes!
>
> Just curious.
>
> T.

  I think I heard or read somewhere once that water is a byproduct of
effective combustion, and that if you had perfect combustion, the only
thing that would come out of the tailpipe is water.

  Anyone know for sure?

  I do know that my tailpipe will drip water; not enough to water a garden,
but its a decent amount. :-)