Apples and Oranges

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 19:55:14 EDT

<snip>
>I agree. But, someone was just asking the members of this list whether he
>should buy a Dakota or a Ram, and his question met a long series of
>apple-to-orange comparisons between those two trucks (which are,
>incidentally, much less alike than a Dakota and a Ford Ranger).
>Apple-to-orange comparisons are inevitable in the real world.
<snip>
>Ryan Merullo
>1993 Dakota Sport 4WD
>V6, Z-71 Killer

Not so Ryan. A Dakota is a 1/2 ton pickup sharing many of the components
of the Ram 1/2 ton. It has a similar weight, payload and towing capacity.
It as a slightly narrower stance and you cannot get an 8 foot box with a
clubcab. Mine is 18 feet long with the same payload as my 1978 1/2 ton
(1500 lbs.). Other versions have an even greater payload.

Ford Ranger and Chev S10 are 1/4 ton's more comparable to Nissan, Toyota
and Mistsubisi (the old Dodge D50).

Making a decision of Dakota, or Ram 150, or Ram 250, or Ram 350 is
comparing apples to apples .... it's just a matter of how big of an apple
do you want.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.