Re[2]: RE: could be U joints...drivetrain

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 00:37:28 EDT

> Mike,
> It does not sound like you have a U joint failure. I wouldnt worry too much
> about them. You could do them anyways to be safe, but Id keep looking for
> your vibes. If youve never done U joints before, A shop may be your best
> bet. If your game, you can go to the library and check out a motors manual
> for U joint replacement. I mainly requires a large hammer or press, some
> large sockets, and patience. I would continue to look elsewhere. Do you
> have a 2 piece drive shaft. If so, how is the center bearing?
> BKB

It's a one piece. But I found my problem today, I've got 4 bent
wheels! Not REAL bad but enought to cause the vibration. I went back
to Discount Tire and they guy there went over each tire with me. He
put each one on the balancer and spun them and showed me how the rim
would wobble back and fourth. Balance was right on the money, but he
still yanked all the weights and re-balanced for me. He said aluminum
rims are more susceptible to this than steel. Said that when they
heat up from breaking and such they soften a bit and then a good
pothole is all it will take. The right rear looked really bad and in
fact I remember hitting a bad pothole several months ago when this
tire was on the front. So, long story short, I'm looking for new
wheels in the not too distant future. Great, just what I need,
another good excuse to spend more money... ;-)

Thanks for all the info on the U-joints guys.

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
 Dakota Webring==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html