Re: Re: Benz merger......good or bad ?

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 16:27:30 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/98 9:07:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, HEMI@charter.net
writes:

<< What business is it of the Government's to tell anyone that they can or
 cannot merge or be bought out by anyone ?

I agree that the government would make me happier if they would stay out of a
lot of my business. But, when it comes to giant corporations that directly
and non directly involve the lives of thousands of families, and if that
corporation is about to charter on terms that may or maynot be in the best
interest of those families, then I believe that it is the resposability of the
Government to step in with the intent of protecting the welfare and standard
of living of those families. Again, does anyone honestly believe that Gov.
would have allowed anytwo of the big three to merge? I dont believe that they
would have. This country was built on the auto industry. It was once what is
good for GM is good for the country. What if GM, Ford or Chrysler would have
been bought out or merged with Benz during the 40's or 50's? Outcry Im sure.
Now on the other hand Im sure the response will be, yeah but this is the New
Millenium, and your right. The world is getting smaller and we are all going
to be united as one big family of people. Great. Its gonna take me a while
to get use to it and I probably wont like it!! I just dont buy this world
peace and posterity stuff. Did you hear that the Russians and the East
Germans are becoming more and more interested in Communism again? 25%
unemployment in Germany right now. Jurgen Schremmp layed off more than 40,000
people from Daimler-Benz just under 10 years ago. He cuts off any part of the
company that isnt making a profit. Dont cure the wound, cut off the limb. Do
you realize that Chrysler "cars" usually lose money every year for the past
10+years? Trucks, Jeeps and Minivans are what makes us the money. Get this,
for every Grand Cherokee we sell, we profit (after tax and laybor wages) just
over $11,000 PER VEHICLE!! And that is what Daimler Benz has been missing all
these years.
Eric