Re: Re: Benz merger......good or bad ?

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 18:07:27 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/98 5:22:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HEMI@charter.net
writes:

<<
 I do not agree at all . The function of government is not to make us happy
 , not to help us keep a job , not to raise our kids , not to make sure that
 every school in Africa has a connection to the Internet (yes , Billy boy
 commited millions of OUR dollars to this not too long ago) , not to make
 sure that we don't do things that are im-moral , not to make sure that you
 can't see porno on the Net , and NOT to step in and run any business .

 I don't mean to sound like I don't care about families that lose their jobs
 , or anything like that , but just think about what you are saying really
 good .

Jack, think about what youre saying. Im not saying that I expect them to
"Keep me happy" If that were the case, then They havent been doing their job
for the past 70 years or so. The point is. The Government was formed to
protect our way of living. This country was formed to protect the individual
rights of the common man. How can you justify protecting 30 people while they
(not just in this case, this is hypothetical) sell off a company to overseas
corporations that have no care about us or our economy, just so they can make
10 million or more for themselves. If you dont think that this involves more
than just that company that has been sold then you are wearing blinders.
Think of how many smaller companies of maybe 50 employees or less that supply
this bigger company. They will possibly go under. Then combine all those
lost jobs and subtract their contribution to the tax base, and then subtract
their cost to support the unfortunate ones that cant find jobs and have to go
on welfare or what ever. This is a much bigger picture than what your seeing
here. Yeah, to the little picture this shouldnt be a problem and its probably
not. But man, doesnt anyone think about the long term anymore?
Morality, thats a personal issue and no the government has no business putting
their thumb on that.
   So, with that I leave you to ponder and hopefully youll get it.
Eric