Re: Re: re:4 wheel drive

From: John Olden (jgolden@prairienet.org)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 23:58:37 EDT

>So than why even make a four wheel drive part time if full time does it
all?
>Is it safe to drive on the street in the rain in 4WD part time? Can a part
>time 4WD Dak be converted to full time?

The biggest difference in part-time and full-time 4WD is that in PT the
front axle turns just slightly faster than the rear. This gives the vehicle
more of a pulling effect (like a front wheel drive) to keep it stable on
slick surfaces. This puts a lot of stress on the system on dry pavement.
Being safe on wet roads is not as bad but not as good as slick or loose
material. I wouldn't want full time. Just causes more tire wear than is
needed.

Just my 2bits. :)

John G. Olden
ICQ: 201695