Re: GM Engines

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 13:51:58 EDT

JHambleton@diabloresearch.com wrote:

> elaborate on this ALL NEW engine? Just curious, but aren't Corvette engines
> all aluminum?, and haven't they had LS1's for several years now?
>
> JonH
>
> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:11:20 -0400
> From: Craig Baltzer <Craig.Baltzer@Anjura.COM>
> Subject: DML: RE: 1999 GM pick up
>
> Can't comment on the body, etc. but the motors were supposed to be all
> new, and based on the new Corvette LS1 not the older LT1.
>
> Craig

The LS1 came out in the vette in 97. It came in the 98 Camaro. The
truck LS1 is basically the same engine design, but they are using a iron
block instead of alumiun (sp). Guess they figure that the iron block
will hold up better to the heavy duty used that a truck might give it,
towing, hauling, etc. They are also going to a smaller displacement in
the truck, to me this doesn't really make sense as it seems like you
would want the extra displacement for the torque that it gives, but then
this is what F**d did with their new trucks, smaller displacement
engines.

 Chevy has always swapped iron and aluminum depending on the
application. There are LT1s with aluminum heads and LT1s with iron
heads, depending on the car that they were put in.

Bob