Re: Damn! Anyone seen those "profits"? I think they left the country!

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 12:25:30 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/98 5:13:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Craig.Baltzer@Anjura.COM writes:

<< Strong is always relative to a point in time. Ask anyone a couple of
 years ago if they thought the governments in Japan or Indonesia were
 strong and they would have said yes. Not so now. Same thing could apply
 in the US government down the road. >>
  Strength is something that is accumulated over time, therefore it isn't
something that is lost over night. A government isn't overthrown in a day.
If it is, then it wasn't strong to begin with. If you've ever been taken by
surprise, then you weren't paying attention to begin with.
>>Japan was also held up by the US as the "evil, protectionist" government
that sheltered their internal industries and kept the "standard of
living" (a.k.a. workers employment and wages) high, which is what is
really being proposed by a number of folks here as the way the US should
operate. Again, didn't seem to work out very well...<<
  Well, the Government of Japan really isn't in it for the best interest of
the people. By that I mean the concern isn't exactly for a higher standard of
living for the average citizen of Japan. The Japanese Gov. is protecting the
interest of the country in an extreme sense of the term. They allow their
industries to sell over seas while they put heavy restrictions on foreign
goods sold in Japan, which inturn frustrates foreign sales and deters The
Japanese people from paying high dollar for foreign items.
Again you havent kept up on the prior posts. The "proposal" by me wasn't that
the US Gov. keep foreign investors out, but to not sell American interests to
foreign investors unless they set of HQ in the States. That their in would
protect the American interest, which would be to "shore up" and protect the
American People, and the standard of living. However, all foreign investors
will always be allowed, with little if any "restrictions" outside of the
standard tax procedure, to sell their goods in the states. But my point, and
final stand, is that companies that have been created in the states like
Chrysler, GM. Ford, Mcdonalds, KFC shouldn't be allowed to be bought out by a
foreign investor and be allowed to have the seat of power and profit taken
outside of the American border. To me, this is the base of our
infrastructure, without that we become susceptible to out side sources more so
than if it is intact.
Eric