Re: engine size

From: t martin (tmartin1996@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 20:20:08 EDT

Don't hey junior me. I was there, and long before that. I've bought gas
at 17.8 cents per gallon. Gulftane was only 21-22 cents a gallon in 1969.
My son reports that it in the mid-70's at cheapie stations in Atlanta last
month. Of course, the average salary was only about 7000/year and new
houses (better built than today's) went for about 15000. In that context,
gasoline in 1970 dollars is about 23 cents per gallon. (Do you remember
when we last had 6% house mortgage rates? In 1970 mine was only 7 percent
and a real bargain!) And remember, we're now often paying more per gallon
in taxes than we paid (pre-1974) in gas plus taxes. Gas is cheap and never
has been so cheap - a a commodity. You just forgot to adjust for 28 years
of inflation!

--tm