Re: Sway bar Bushings(RON)

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 09:20:33 EDT

> Ron, were your sway bar bushings shot also? why did you replace them?

  The stock rubber bushings were fine, but I was trying to compensate for
my Dakota's horrendous understeer by messing with the suspension. As long
as I was adding a rear bar w/urethane bushings, I figured I'd take the
extra 30 minutes and US$20 to swap the front bushings as well.

> It seems to me the reaplacement is very easy

  It is. The hardest part is re-attaching the bar yourself. The bar isn't
exactly light, and it's kind of a PITA to align the first bracket with the
bolt holes.

> Do you notice a
> difference with them, are you happy with them?

  Main benefit was from adding the rear bar, but the handling feels a mite
more responsive with the front urethane bushings.

> I think since I go 4wheeling I would just break the zerk fittings off.

  If you are smacking rocks and stumps enough to break those fittings off,
you'll be breaking a lot more than just the zerk fittings. On my '95 4x2,
the fittings are well-protected by the rest of the chassis.

  Nongreaseable polyurethane squeaks too much for my taste.

  Ron