Re[2]: Re: Re: Olden Days and 4wd - changing of V8 guar

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 18:23:09 EDT

Subject: Re: DML: Re: Re: Olden Days and 4wd - changing of V8 guard
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
Date: 9/24/98 4:20 PM

OK, let me qualify and narrow my statement a little bit.

I have a 1993 Dakota Sport regular cab, 4x4, 3.9l AX15 manual, cannot
remember the transfer case (NP___). The truck was assembled somewhere in
Michigan in December, 1992.

To shift from 4H to 2H, there are two ways of which I know:

1. Chrysler Corporation proscribed method: With vehicle in motion, push
lever forward from '4H' to '2H' position (backing up never mentioned). In
my experience, the 4wd indicator light does indeed go off, but the vehicle
still handles and sounds exactly as if it were in 4wd. After a while,
sometimes as much as several miles, you'll hit a large enough bump and it
disengages with an audible click.

2. Alternative method: With vehicle moving forward at a low rate of speed,
10-15 mph, push lever forward from '4H' to '2H' position, coast to a stop,
shift transmission into reverse, backup for a few feet and apply brake
gently; disengages with an audible click.

I prefer the alternative method.