Re: 22 Gallon fuel tank

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 19:30:21 EDT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Dakowner wrote:

> on an empty tank and only five miles left on the overhead I can only put
> in 18 gallons in the tank ....the 22 tank is really only 18

  I don't have an overhead console (not even a low fuel light), so
I can't comment on that part, but I have a sneaking suspicion
that Dodge used 18 gallon senders on all the trucks. When my
guage reads empty, I can put about 18 gallons in it, but once
(to be sure I really had a 22 gallon tank), I threw a can of gas
in the bed and ran it dry. (Note: this is not a good idea on
a fuel injected engine. I shut it off as soon as it started to
stumble.) I was able to put 21 or 22 gallons in the tank.

  I suppose a safer way to check would be to get under the
truck and measure the tank. Its a nice rectangular shape,
so it should be easy to approximate the volume.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |