RE: RE: RE: Respect the 80s

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 13:30:14 EDT

Eric,
Jeeeze sorry man, I didnt know....
I didnt mean to say those vehicles mentioned arent O.K, Its the way it is
these days (or was in the 80s) and cant be denied. And your "life testing"
is a feat to be admired!
I was basically alluding to the differences between the glory days of
watching Daytona Chargers with pointy noses and big wings break 200mph
around the ovals vs. Chrysler not being interested in going left, period.
Or the days when opening the hood meant looking at an engine vs. looking at
a "control system". Cam swaps happened on the weekend without EPA
repurcussions etc. etc. blah blah. And Ive owned my share of Omnis (drove
one cross country after buying it as "scrap"). BUT wheres the damn fins on
the caravan? Any cross ram induction for the Omni? Did the Lebaron come
with 1500lbs of chrome? They are good vehicles but they are not Art... Now
the Dak, older ones included, hold some serious candles to any truck ever
produced (IMO) style wise and performance wise! If I cared about function
uber alles Id be driving a Hacura or a Lexota. Obviously I dont represent
most of the car buying public in my views. My Muse was never called by my
Omnis, but it jumps when I look at the bubble window of my 65 Cuda or the
fender well bulge of the R/T Dak. Ive got a '67 F**d Cortina in the works
(27mpg, 115 HP, 2100lbs) for the next "oil crisis" and believe me when I say
"That is not art"
I probably stare at my cars more than I drive them.
Looking for art in all the wrong places.
BKB