Re: DMLNazis at Indy

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 17:22:14 EDT

At 04:27 PM 9/24/98 , you wrote:

>I think a turbine car at Indy also showed how well this
>could work.The nazis at Indy
>fixed that by requiring the turbines to breathe thru a
>smaller opening than the "correctly"
>engined cars could use.

That turbine car that ran Indy that one year just flat ran away from the
rest of the field. The only reason it didn't win going away is that it
broke before it finished the race. Your "nazis at Indy" restricted the
intake opening in order to make it more fair for everybody. It's the same
reason they allowed different engine designs to run different amounts of
turbo boost, to try to make competition more fair for everybody. I agree
that there have been plenty of times that they have legislated away
technology that would have made for much more interesting race cars, but
this isn't one of those instances. Boy, this discussion sure makes me
nostalgic for the good old days when Indy was a real race and not this IRL
crapola.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

"I believe people would be alive today if there were a death penalty" -- Nancy Reagan