Re: No More Missed Shifts

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 26 1998 - 04:15:43 EDT

At 02:54 AM 9/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks to whoever it was about a month ago that suggested I rack through the
>gears on my 5spd while waiting in the staging lanes. There sure is a pattern
>to missing 3rd gear; anytime I go in reverse, and then don't shift through the
>gears a couple of times, I end up missing 3rd a fairly high percentage of the
>time. I haven't missed 3rd in well over 30 runs since I started racking the
>gears. I'd still like a better shifter, but now I can live with the one I've
>got. Thanks again.

  That would be me. (Unless someone else suggested it too...)

Yep, that's weird, isn't it??? I've been pretty good about rowing
through the gears lately so I haven't missed any shifts in a while, but
put it in reverse or forget to row through 'em, and I can almost
guarantee I'll miss 3rd. I'm not sure wether or not it does the
same thing for 5th, but I keep it out of there too, just in case.
(Not really any reason to put it in 5th anyway...)

  I'm planning on fabricating a shorter stick so the throw won't
take as long, and so the pressure put on the tranny due to the "breaker
bar effect" won't be as great in the event of a missed shift. (Haven't
gotten around to it yet though; just been tossing some ideas around in
my head.) Besides a shorter stick, I'm not sure there's anything else
to do?

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |