Re: RE: Oil Change Question

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sun Sep 27 1998 - 22:26:57 EDT

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> O.K. I'm gonna' do it this way at the next change as I can't see how it
> would hurt. Still don't understand the starter angle though... Mine fires
> up just as good immediately after an oil and filter change as it did
> before... Seems to me that the starter is disengaged just as quickly,
> therefore, there is no increased wear and tear, no?

This is an attempt to prevent the engine from starting without oil pressure. My
mechanics say it is just as bad to crank one without oil pressure as to let it idle
without oil pressure, only the pressure builds quicker at idle than cranking speed.
Also you may run the risk of electronic ignition damage by cranking with the coil
wire out. Filling the filter is a good idea when it can be reinstalled without the
oil spilling back out. I fill the filter on my 318, put it on and start and IDLE
the engine. Pressure is up just as fast as the first start every morning, about 2
seconds.