Re: NON-DAK troubles buying a Canadian car ?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 19:27:08 EDT

At 04:06 PM 9/29/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the level of hell I would have to go through to buy a
>used car in Canada and bring it back here to Georgia ?
>
>I was looking at a '78 Aspen that I can get at a good price . It has the
>E58 360 Police motor , etc .
>
>I just want to know if it's worththe hassle and what the hassle is .
>
>Dak Content: I drive a Dakota , eh ?

   I don't really think its much of a hassle, but it probably depends
on the car. My grandma (who lives in canada) just gave my mom her old
car (1989 Olds 98, originally a Canadian car) and we didn't have any
problems.

  What you have to do is be able to prove that the car in question
met the US roadworthiness/emissions standards for the year it was
manufactured. (You can call the manufacturer and give 'em the
VIN to find out this info.) If it doesn't meet the standards,
you can still bring it over if you can modify it to meet them.

   Anyway, call up customs, they'll be able to help you. They'll
tell you exactly what you need and they also have a list of the
manufacturer's numbers that you can call for info. It cost my Mom
$50 to get the info faxed to her from GM. (You'll need to have
that info from the manufacturer with you when you cross the border
back into the US with the car.)

  Good luck!

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |