Re: Re: DMLHere We Go Again was:: Late Daks w/o CATs

From: Christopher Bogart (cbogart@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 19:01:17 EDT

--------------7D49300435F3FD394B08B4EA

Mike Crumley wrote:

> At 02:53 PM 9/30/98 , you wrote:
>
> > Ok, yep you do have a point there. I'm certain there are localized
> >effects, I'm just not convinced that this stuff is having any effect
> >on a global scale.
>
> Well, maybe when you have to start lining your underwear with foil when you
> go outside to keep from getting sterilized... :-)

You mentioned being 50 miles from a city. Clouds travel more than fifty miles.
When it rains in your town, it's raining pollutants picked up from whatever
city you are close too. That's a fact. Look at your nearby high pine trees if
you have any. Notice how many are dying?? Notice how many tops of them are
dead?? That's rain filled with city pollutants.

Sure, you might not see the smog. You might not have to breath it right now,
but it's there, and it IS affecting you. The vehicle might be different (rain,
snow, air, water) but it's there. And as far as Global in terms of Ozone. The
stuff visible in a city doesn't disappear. It might disapate to the point where
you can't see it anymore. But it's still there, drifting upwards right to the
ozone where it reacts and eats away at it, bit by bit, slowly but surely. It's
like BSD (Mad Cow Disease). I mention that b/c BSD has a very long incubation
period, but it does it's thing, Slowly one damaged protein in an infected brain
converts another into a damaged protein and then two to four, four to eight,
and soon enough the cow, or human, has irreperable HOLES in their brain. They
end up a degenerated mess of flesh and limbs, can't walk or eat, and eventually
ALWAYS die. Like wise, the ozone's hole is growing, slowly but surely. Be
afraid. Be very afraid. We can't live w/o an ozone.

It's easy to close our eyes to the big picture. Especially if we never see it.
But there is a big picture and it has some ugly spots. There's no balance to
our way of living. It's not self-sustaining. We use way more than we replace. I
can't even imagine what it would be like for my grandkids (if I have any) to
live here. But I do know, I have an impact on the future. I'm aiming for
balance.

And I'm sure I'm going to be real popular real soon as I ramble on about
non-dak stuff. I guess I see it as this: we have common interests. Trucks, fast
motors, fun times. We share our stories related to that stuff, and we educate
each other about these things, so I hope you don't mine that I carry it a
little further, and share the stories I know about and reflect a bit on the big
picture.

Our trucks impact the earth and there is no denying that. Do we not own them?
Hell no. But do we understand this impact and take actions to minimize it? I
hope so. Our mud wheels take away soil from areas where that erosion eventually
causes significant environmental changes. Maybe not the first time, but slowly
and surely. Did you know that if I'm caught coming off a mtn. trail on my mtn
bike covered in mud, I can be fined. Do I disagree with that. No. What good is
that dirt doing swirling down the train of my shower? None. What's the impact
of that dirt not being back on the trail where I took it from? Exposed roots,
Faster erosion, toppled trees during rainy, windy season, etc. Solution: Ride
smarter. Don't ride in mud. And respect and stay on the trail. Works for trucks
too.

Already coverd is our exhaust. Combined with everyone else's, it builds up and
decays the ozone, pollutes our air and water, and just plain stinks. There are
many things we can do here. Don't drive short trips. Link your errands. A cold
engine pollutes way more than a hot one. Dont' drive hard until the engine is
warm. Open throttle runs on a cold motor dumps lots of unburnt fuel out the
tail pipe, not to mention, it's not good on the motor.

And yes, factories and refineries pollute much more than our vehicles. You want
to do something about it? Write your congressman. Boycott their products.
Demand changes, b/c they are getting rich, not us. But we are affected by their
lack of caring.

A lot of harmful stuff we do are little things, like improper dumping of
household cleaners, batteries, etc. But as the population continues to grow at
this rate, these and other little things are going to start being very
significant. Do the things you love, but weigh the impact and think about if
there's a better way.

Alright, I'm probably gonna git shitcanned from this list. But if just one of
you reads this and takes some of it to heart, it'll be worth it. I love my
truck. But I love mother earth too. There's lots of her you can't see without a
truck, which is why I bought this thing. But there's lots of her you and/or
your kids won't ever see again if we abuse it. I don't equate use with abuse.
Use = balance. Abuse = off balance. I'm not saying, don't modify your trucks.
I'm modifying mine. But I'm sensitive to the issues and am only asking that we
all be. Keep on truckin'.

Oh, and to the hunter who wrote "if it's brown, it's down!!" What is that? Are
you seriously saying that you shoot anything? That has got to be one of the
most irresponsible things I've ever heard (besides families having 10 kids)!
Sorry man, but it's stuff like that that gives all hunters a bad rap.

Bogart

An opinion is worth what you paid for it. Nothing!

Or is it?

--------------7D49300435F3FD394B08B4EA

begin: vcard
fn: Christopher Bogart
n: Bogart;Christopher
org: Netscape Communications Corporation
email;internet: cbogart@netscape.com
title: Technical Marketing Mgr. - Enterprise Product Marketing
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version: 2.1
end: vcard