Re: Question for the DAK Dragsters?

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 01 1998 - 17:25:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/98 10:09:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Rich.Wisotzkey@gsc.gte.com writes:

<< This is for you fellas with the 5-speeds. Have any of you played around
 with with launching in 2nd gear as opposed to 1st gear? Which one is
 quicker for track time? >>
yes I have done this and Ive only done it once! Get it?
  First gear may be short, especially with the 4.10, but its a butt kicker out
of the hole!
If I start in second its a little dogy, but after about half of a second with
my foot in it, it just spins like a top. I found its better to jump off the
line in first and immediately dump it to second, I mean, as soon as your R's
at about 2800 in first find second fast! My 5.9 at those R's from first to
second grabs like a cat out of a bag and actually made one guy slow down
immediately, then pulled up to me and just wanted to watch to see if my front
end would come off the ground, which it won't! Yet!!
Now, if Im running a stock stang or an Iroc Z, Ill give em a break and start
in second! Its funny to watch their face when I tell them that and then back
up about 4 feet and give them a head start!! I have to make it a challenge
atleast!
Eric