Re: RE: Radar Detector

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 04 1998 - 02:52:28 EDT

At 11:18 PM 10/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have the V1 and like it a lot. Its larger than the Bel, so you have to
>watch out if you're in "radar detectors are illegal" country (like I am)
>as its visable on the dash. My bud has a Bel, and it worked well until
>the police removed it from his possession after picking it up with VG2
>(radar detector detection equipment they have in the cruisers), even
>though Bel said it was "undetectable". Bel did send him a 'new' model
>which was really supposed to be undetectable, but didn't pay is $800+
>ticket for having the detector...

  Yep, my first detector was a Bel, but I wasn't real happy with it.
Fortunately, I was able to bring it back to the store where I got it.
  After having a V1, any other detector would be like driving with
blinders on. The bogey counter and directional arrows are awesome;
I couldn't live without 'em now.

   A nice thing about the V1 is that they support it and continue to
upgrade it. Whenever a new innovation or improvment comes out, you
can send in your unit and they'll upgrade it (for a fee, of course).
But, you get a 1 year warrantee again after the upgrade, so its as if
you bought a brand new one. It'll never be obsolete...

    As far as trying to hide it goes, yeah, its a pretty big unit.
There's a remote display available which blacks out the lights on
the main unit and moves the display down to the cigarette lighter,
but you still need the main box in the window, since that's what has
the antennas in it.

   Given the choice, I'd go with the V1 every time; no doubt about it.
Its well worth the extra money.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |