Re: Body Lift (airbag?)

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Sun Oct 04 1998 - 15:59:51 EDT

> Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:02:54 EDT
> From: Dkota4by4@aol.com
> Subject: Re: DML: Body Lift (airbag?)
>
> good point! The only reason l can think of is because if you were to raise
> the truck, the sensor for the airbags would be too high to do you any good.
> My sensor is already higher than most cars on the road...go up another 3" and
> l might as well not have air bags. This is purely speculation..maybe someone
> else can come up with a better reason.

A suspension lift would do the same thing, though. Personally, I'd be more
worried about the airbag malfunctioning and going off when it's not supposed
to. I can't imagine why it would, but the prospect of having a bomb in the
steering wheel has always made me a little wary. It might have something to
do with re-locating the bumper relative to the frame (pure speculation).

I just re-checked the Summit Racing catalog. This was where I specifically
remember seeing this rule, and it turns out that I wasn't quite right. I
can see three brands of body lifts. Summit and Trail Master both say no,
but Performance Accessories says "CAN be used on vehicles equipped with air
bags." They have listings for both 2" and 3" body lifts for 97-98 Dakotas,
both 2WD and 4WD ($148 for 2", $158 for 3"). That might work for you, but
since mine is a '95 it doesn't do me much good.

> Is this the only thing holding you back from doing the lift?

That's the main thing. The others are the fact that I'm not sure about
installing it myself, and I haven't been able to locate rims that will fit
my truck any larger than 15x7". Well, not that I could afford.

Let us know if you go ahead with it and how it works.
Jason