No More Ping After Headers

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 08:53:28 EDT

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine yesterday and I told him how I
had a slight amount of engine knock or ping before I installed headers.
Now that they are installed there is not even a hint of ping anywhere in
the RPM range under any load condition with a hot or cold engine and I
still use the cheapo 87 octane gas....

He thought the stock manifolds may have been causing an excessive amount of
back pressure and that might be what was making the engine ping a little
bit... Does this make sense to the pros out there??

I'm happy as a clam that the ping is gone --Just still curious as to why
it's gone.

Thanks.

T.