Re: Re: RE: Re: Radar Detectors... Or... How to Beat VA's

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 11:35:04 EDT

At 11:04 AM 10/6/98 , you wrote:

> What if you were to use one of the USPS video mailers? (Its a priority
>mail box about the size of a VHS video tape.) I don't see how an officer
>could claim justification for thinking there was a bomb in a video mailer.
>(Or any boxed mail, for that matter.) Also, perhaps addressing it to
someone
>other than yourself would arouse less suspicion. Maybe use a friend's
address
>instead. Any thoughts?

Less suspicion about what? The cop is going to know why he stopped you. The
whole idea in the first place is not to try to hide anything, but to make
the "evidence" inaccessible. I don't think that it would matter what it was
in as far as suspicion goes. Maybe putting it in a video mailer or any kind
of padded mailing envelope that normally is used for bulky items would give
the cop less probable cause to call out the bomb squad, but then, I think
that it's pretty remote that a cop would call out the bomb squad for a
radar detector anyway. Maybe I'm just underestimating how much zeal the
cops have for getting radar detectors, but to call out the bomb squad to
blow up what the cop *knows* is a radar detector seems to me like asking
for trouble.

Judge: Why did you stop the suspect?
Cop: He had a radar detector.
Judge: Why did you call the bomb squad?
Cop: Well, it's like this, he put the radar detector in an envelope.....

Sorry, I don't think so. Maybe in one of those "Police Squad" movies, but
in real life?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6  3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. -- Benjamin Franklin