RE:DML Passive Radar Detection

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 11:33:52 EDT

   Modern military level units are finding useage in civilian areas now. A
military level radar detector is totally passive: emits no active signal at
all. As the energy from the radar unit strikes the receiving antenna, the
energy is passed to a shielded analyzing unit that when coupled with other
antennas can tell direction and distance of the source of the incoming radar
energy. With civilian applications in geology, survey, astronomy, vehicle
tracking and such growing on a daily basis, I don't think the military will be
able to keep the higher levels of technology to themselves much longer. We
could easily see totally passive units made for cars. The cheaper ones would
likely only alert the user to the presence of a radar and what band it was on,
where the more expensive ones could see very long distances and tell the
operator where it's at and when the danger zone is entered. Hell, it could
just end up being a "snap in" card to your navigation computer in future
cars/trucks.

Shaun H.