Re: Tidbit from the MML

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 18:36:30 EDT

Rekker21@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/7/98 10:26:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rap777@juno.com
> writes:
>
> <<
> Subject: STOCK 98 MOPAR GOING 12.5
>
> I just happened to read in the IHRA paper last night of a 1998 Dakota
> running a stock class won with 12.56 ET. >>
> Do I understand this right that this truck is Stock as in no mods?
> Eric

Eric,

First you need to understand what stock is in IHRA and NHRA. When I
first got my Camaro in 68 I competited in NHRA stock class for a couple
of years. Off the show room floor my Camaro ran a 14.25. But once I
was set up for NHRA A stock I ran 11.90s. You must run stock block,
stock heads, stock intake manifold and carb, cam must be stock timing,
must have stock compression ratio, etc.

But to get this you rebuild the engine to the factory specs.(blue
printing) example is machining the head to get the exact combustion
chamber size that the factory specs call for thus giving you the highest
allow compression ratio.
Changing cams to aftermarket that has factory timing but the opening and
closing ramps are steeper. With this you have the factory lift and
duration but you are getting alot more fuel/air in there.

I ran 4..88 gears and 7 inch slicks, this was 68 and 69. Today you are
allow to run 10 inch slicks. There were a lot of things that you could
do, no one thing would make the car that much faster, but putting them
all together would really make a stocker run.

The cars in A stock are now running high 10s.

Bob
95 Dakota CC V8
68 Camaro L78