modify FABM install procedure ?

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 19:35:35 EDT

Guys and Gals -

I finally got the new radiator hose from NAPA for the R/T so that the 14"
FABM would fit easier .

All I can say is that I think this should be listed as a standard thing to
use on the instructions (at least on the 97+) or at least as an option for
added ease of fit .

The part number on the hose from NAPA is 8677 .

It was going to cost me $12.99 after the 7% sales tax , but the guy knocked
a bit more off since I didn't get it the next day like they said .

It ended up being $11.38 after the tax , that's $10.64 before taxes .

There is only one thing that could be better about it . The end of the hose
that attatches to the thermostat neck could stand to be a bit longer so
that it would fit down more on the neck . Even with that , I think that it
fits very very well . It has a plastic braided section , just like the
stock one , that rests on top of the a/c lines so that they won't rub a
hole in the thing .

The basic install on the hose went like this :

1) Loosen and remove bolt holding rear-most alternator bracket on intake
manifold.

2) loosen and remove top nut on the other end of the same bracket where it
attatches to the back of the alternator.

3) Loosen only the actual bolt under the first nut on the part of the
bracket that attatches to the back of the alternator .

4) Swing the bracket out of the way to give you a little room to work .

5)Loosen the factory hose clamp on the end of the hose that attatches to
the radiator , let fluid drain from end of hose (into a bucket , we are all
enviro-friendly ya know!).

6) Loosen factory hose clamp on the end of the hose that attatches to the
intake manifold , remove hose from vehicle .

7) Install new or factory hose clamps onto the new hose (NAPA Part#8677) .
(I wanted to re-use the factory clamps on botyh ends , but the one in the
"hole" against the intake was just too much of a pain in the hiney!)

8)Install the new hose onto the radiator end and also the intake end .
NOTE: MAKE SURE that you get the end on the water neck against the intake
as much as possible without totally squishing the hose!!The hose is made to
look a bit flattened , but this is for hood clearance , don't totally kink
it!!

9)Re-attatch all mounting brackets and bolts and nuts that you removed when
you started . If you don't , you'll get a vibration noise (at the very
minimum) from the alternator .

10) Fill engine coolant to required level .

11) Check for leaks , especially around the intake end .

Now , with this mod , I think that you can possibly use a flat base can on
the air cleaner , or at least a thinner spacer on the drop base . I dunno
yet .

I know that alot of you have already done this to your trucks , but I just
wanted everyone who hasn't done it that it makes the whole FABM deal really
gel .

I am not sure if it would benefit the 11" FABM .

If the 11" FABM tends to contact the radiator hose , then I suppose it
would .

Again , parts needed:

1)NAPA upper radiator hose part# 8677 (or equivalent)
2)two new or (only if they are in good shape) the factory hose clamps
3)half a gallon of coolant (just to make sure you have enough)
4)pliers or screwdriver to remove and re-install new clamps
5)9/16 deep socket to loosen and remove the bracket attatching bolts and nuts

BTW- Did I mention that it started raining halfway thru this mod and that
by the time I was finished I was nearly drowned ? I am just now STARTING to
dry out and it's been over an hour !

No sympathy please , just send money :-) (or very nice and beautiful women)

Hope this benefits someone !

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net