Re: RE: RE: RE: Mag Buildup

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 07:50:09 EDT

<< The price didn't seem bad to me for a complete new short block,
 o-ringed, blower rings, 3 angle valve job, port and polish plus the
 Vortech blower. When I did some checking around, the blower kit alone
 seemed to be in the $3-3.5K range, and a new "crate motor" at $3.5K, the
 extra $3K for the "putting it together with quality parts" didn't seem
 too bad. I've never been able to put a motor together with that kind of
 work before for $3K anyway (if you include parts, shipping, labour/shop
 charges, etc.)... >>

A new short block should be in the $2300 range, probably cheaper. I see MPI
advertises their 5.9L short block at $2,350. The Vortech kits are around $2650
in S-trim configuration. Replacing the pistons with Forged units isn't going
to be too expensive, even if you opt for a high end lightweight piston such as
JE. If you set your budget at $1300 on having the cylinder heads done, I'm
sure you could find a good quality porter with a flowbench that'd get your
heads flowing just for your application. O-ringing the motor (I'm assuming he
means the heads) could easily be included in your 'head work' budget, as it is
just a simple process of cutting a groove into the cylinder head.

$3,000 for assembly? I've heard of people spending $2,000 for assembly of a
Porsche 911 engine, but that's just an insane figure when the engine we're
talking about is a pushrod V-8.

Just my opinion....

ttyl
Patrick