RE: RE: Mag Buildup

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 18:15:07 EDT

Craig,
I know how you feel. I spent approx. $7,000 on my 95 5.9L. It started with
the Vortech install, 9 months and an additional $4,500 above the
supercharger kit netted
me a truck I could live with. A change always led to another problem. The
greatest challenge was the pistons. The Magnum uses a dish/dome piston
unlike any
of the earlier A-engines. The end result was a highly modified Keith Black
piston (needed to drop the compression down with the blower). There aren't
many choices
out there for internal parts (crank, pistons, valve components, etc). A big
chunk of the buildup costs came from injectors, custom computer, and the
ignition retard
setup. I am sure that most of the crate motors available use standard OEM
components anything different will be very costly. The advantages (at least
in my case)
is that I really know what I have got and I know that the engine went
together clean (one of my biggest worries). This offsets some of the
frustrations.....

        Frank