Re: High-end acceleration

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 00:57:58 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> At 08:40 PM 10/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >I realize that some will have safety issues with this, please direct
> >them via private e-mail. For those of you w/ badges, I came up with the
> >following question w/ theoretical math.
>
> Hey, did you use the same formula that you use to calculate
> air cleaner bolt lengths? (sorry, low blow) ;-)

No matter what I say, it always has something to do w/ carriage bolts. :-) I
chatted w/ DakAttack tonight, wasn't 5 minutes before I heard a carriage bolt
joke. It'll never die.

> >I ended up "playing" with a Camaro/Firebird, newest body style, driving
> >from East St.Louis over into Mo. My acceleration from 50 to 80 happens
> >in the blink of an eye, so going about 80, I pull up next to him, and we
> >both floor it. Like I said, from 50 up I had no problem keeping w/ him,
> >but when we hit it going 80, he was gone! I was left standing, barely
> >accelerating at all. Why is it when I hit it going 50, 60, even 70,
> >there is a jolt of power, but none at about 80 and above? I assume this
> >is a tranny/rear end thing?
>
> Probably the tranny gearing plays a role, but I suspect the major
> cause is the ol' "aerodynamics of a brick" demon coming back to bite
> you. I'm not certain of the exact relationship, but I *think* that
> the force required to push through air goes up as the square of the
> velocity. (So, if going 50mph requires 10HP, going 100MPH would
> require not 20HP, but 100HP.)
> The new F-body is pretty slippery; disregarding the weight differences,
> (something else it has in its favor) it takes less horsepower at a given
> speed to push the chebby through the air.) We don't have a chance
> at speed; we've gotta rely on a good holeshot and a strong low end
> to try and get us across the 1/4mi mark first.
>
> >p.s. All of the above is fictional. :-)

But what about my drag-cheating ram- air hood? I'm sure that does wonders for
the air-cheating qualities of my rounded Dakota. :-) I wonder if the newer
body styles have better drag coefficients than the old school Daks do.
Hmmmmm, can Frank check the flow on an entire truck? Hmmmmmm.

--
Mailto:rotrottmann@davidson.edu
http://www.davidson.edu/personal/rotrottmann/default.htm