Re: High-end acceleration

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 00:16:19 EDT

> >I ended up "playing" with a Camaro/Firebird, newest body style, driving
> >from East St.Louis over into Mo. My acceleration from 50 to 80 happens
> >in the blink of an eye, so going about 80, I pull up next to him, and we
> >both floor it. Like I said, from 50 up I had no problem keeping w/ him,
> >but when we hit it going 80, he was gone! I was left standing, barely
> >accelerating at all. Why is it when I hit it going 50, 60, even 70,
> >there is a jolt of power, but none at about 80 and above? I assume this
> >is a tranny/rear end thing?

I am no GM fan but my son has a 98 TransAm and it starts out with nearly 100
hp more than a 318 magnum if both are stock. It is probably 200 or more
pounds lighter and yes extremely aerodynamic and may be equipped with a close
ratio 6 speed manual trans. These cars typically turn 13s in the quarter and
a Dak has to be HIGHLY modified to do that. Also the GM engines develop
maximum hp at a far greater rpm than a magnum does. My sons Pont will go over
120 mph before he even gets into 5th gear and that is not overdrive, 6th is.
Lets face it. These cars are out of our league at highway speeds. Race them
0-60, 1/8 mile strip or stick to mustang GTs. With little coaxing the
Camero/Firebird will easily turn high 12s. My son traded in his 95 formula
which turned 12.80 at Ennis with only a exhaust mod, a power programmer and
nitrous. (needed slicks too.)
Jim in Waco.