RE: RE: Fuel Pressure Regulators

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 21:19:13 EDT

Whit,
The hi performance PCM (computer) has a new fuel map associated with it, the
net result is that the injector pulse width is increased wherever the
software designer
figured he or she needed additional fuel. I really don't know where the
transducer is but if you hook up a scan tool, one of the options that you
can check is the
fuel pressure. I haven't been able to find it in the engine compartment, so
I would suspect it is somewhere near the fuel tank or incorporated in the
fuel pump
assembly. The Vortech supercharger kit includes an additional in-line fuel
pump and a FMU that changes the fuel system into a semi return system and
the FMU
just restricts the return line to boost fuel pressure. On my truck, we check
fuel/air ratio in the exhaust path before the Cat. (expensive equipment
required and
generally used in conjunction with a dyno). If you really feel that you are
not getting enough fuel (need to verify this on a dyno), you could explore
the avenue of
higher fuel pressure or step up to a larger injector even yet. Remember
though, in cruse and idle (operating temperature), the O2 sensor in
conjunction with the
computer is controlling your fuel/air ratio. Only at WOT do the fixed fuel
maps come into play.