Re[2]: RE: undercoat

From: rking@jjsnack.com
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 15:11:32 EDT

     About the only thing undercoating has going for it is that it affords
     a little better sound insulation from outside noise coming through
     from the undercarriage. The thick layer can often dry with air
     pockets in it or air pockets can develop with age ( stone dings,
     shrinkage etc.) along with other gaps and holes from regular abuse.
     These holes, gaps etc. allow water and/or water vapor a place to go
     and once in it is not easily removed. We all know that if we can't
     get water ( and any dissolved salts in it) away from a metal surface
     very well, rust will get ahold of it. What's even worse is the fact
     that rust can get started but is masked by the undercoat until
     deterioration is huge and unfixable with just some sanding/grinding
     and primer/paint. Big problemo! Stay away from that stuff would be
     the advice I give. If you want sound insulation, do it from inside the
     cab.

                                Rob