Re: Psychotic Radiator

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 15:55:04 EDT

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Robert Trottmann wrote:

[...]
> Took a 10 mile trip today on a tire errand, smelled the smell again.
> Yes, res. is half empty, fluid on underside of hood, battery, and top of
> "skid plate thing." There is NO fluid on the ground after I park.
> Final wierd thing: when it decides to leak, (I can find NO cause at all,
> seems completely random), when I park, there is very slight steam/smoke
> whatever coming out of the hole where the hood latch is. In front of
> the rad, behind condensor, I think.

   Pretty weird. Your last comment there got me to thinking though...
Didn't you mess up the front of your truck in an accident not too long
ago? I wonder if you might have a leak in your radiator... (Either
from the shop re-using your old one, or maybe the new one could have been
damaged during shipping?) Maybe the radiator flush flushed some junk
out that was blocking the hole. Or maybe it only flushed away some
of it, so if you drive long enough, it accumulates and blocks the hole?
  Ok, so its a wild guess... :-)

   Have you noticed any fluctuation in coolant temperature?

> No, I didn't drop a carriage bolt into my radiator.

  Dang, you beat us to it! Where's the fun in responding to your posts
if we can't make carriage bolt jokes? ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |