Re: Gear Jammers

From: whiskyjack@iname.com
Date: Sat Oct 17 1998 - 21:22:40 EDT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:20:12 -0000
From: Hartley <hartley11@ibm.net>
Subject: DML: gas getting into oilpan 98 Dakota

Recently when I changed the oil on my 98 Dakota I noticed that the oil was
full of gasoline odor, so I checked the new oil and it has the same gas odor
in it. The oil turned black in 50 miles. Anyone else have the same
problem. Mines the six cylinder dakota 4X4. I used Havoline 10/30 and a
Fram Filter not that it matters, but I know someone would ask that question.
Do they have a mechanical fuel pump? Theres too much stuff for me to really
follow the fuel line, I have an appointment to have it checked on Wednesday.
Anyone have any thoughts as to what would cause this. I'm afraid the
dealership will play they can't duplicate the problem on me. I know it
exists.

Your Dak has and electric fuel pump in the fuel tank ... that's why you can't find it. There shouldn't be a smell of gasoline in the oil...if you can smell it (I presume you take the filler cap off and smell), then the dealer should be able to as well.

Also, oil shouldn't turn black in 50 miles .... mine is still pretty clean looking at oil change time ... 3,000 miles.

Maybe the piston rings didn't seat properly and fuel is getting into the oil that way. The dealer can determine this pretty easily with a compression test.

WJ
97 SLT Clubcab 4x4 V8