Re: JBA's/ cat back

From: the bobster (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 09:15:02 EDT

"A-lot of folks have been a bit down on the JBA's and I don't know
why... What's
wrong with 'em and/or what makes the mopar/thorley's so much better??
I'm happy
w/my JBA's (which is all that matters), but I'd still like to know what
I'm
missing. Is it just because they are the "shorty" type?"

T. I am happy with my JBA's. They gave an increase in power thru low
and
mid range. Mine were well built and look great. We got 0.2 drop in ET
and about
3 mph increase at the drags. It also looks like a +2mpg on the hiway.

Our 92 has a larger Y-pipe than some of the later trucks so I think
repacement
on our truck was not as important.

I think the fact the mopar/thorley headers have the large y-pipe
included in
their design (plus the longer tubes with closer to equal lengths) makes
them
the better header.

If one factors the cost of Y-pipe (either an ATA or custom work) plus
the cost
of the JBA's , it is close to the cost of the Mopar headers.

The JBA's were a pure bolt-on, I'm not sure if extra work is needed to
match
the mopar headers to the existing pipes.

"<<dynomax cat-back from Summit($89.00)>>"

"I know this has been discussed a million times, but since I got you...
For the
price this is a doable mod for me. Do I lose any low end torque with a
cat-back
system (I need/want the grunt for off-road purposes)???"

T. For whatever my opinion is worth, I do not think my dynonax system
has
decreased low end. The kit number was 17443 2 3/4" "super turbo system".
It is plain
steel, nothing fancy.

We ran the truck around with no pipe after the cat to see how it ran and
sounded.

It was loud and would resonate the area under the box . The truck would
break the
tires loose from a standing start with no pipe .

The muffler with the kit was # 17797 it appears to be a two chamber
muffler.

The exhaust note is perfect. A low rumble that says "Mopar Spoken Here"
with
 out being blattey and loud. The note sets off car alarms, an added
feature I think.

all for now ...good luck

rob