Re: Aftermarket ignitions

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 19:17:25 EDT

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Corey A Meyer wrote:
> Everyone seems to have their own opinions on these aftermarket
> ignitions, but who's right? I would tend to believe the ones that say
> that they do help because many people back them and theoretically, the
> ideas behind them seem reasonable. Could a lot of those not seeing
> improvements just need to wait longer, or could they maybe also need an
> aftermarket coil with the ignition-or other performance mods to click with
> the ignition in order to see an improvement? I have a hard time believing
> that all of these companies would make ignition systems if they don't
> really work.

   Believe it. :-)

   Actually, yeah they do seem to work on most vehicles, but for
some reason, they don't seem to help on the Magnum engines. (Well,
they will make it run smoother, may increase gas mileage, etc. but
if quickness and power is your thing, they usually hurt to the tune of
2 tenths, or if you're lucky, they don't do anything at all.)

   If you believe it'll help, then by all means, go for it! (I've
considered getting one just to improve gas mileage and reduce cranking
time. But if I did, it'd have a switch so I could use the stock one
when I want power.) Just a word of advice: Make sure that the place
you buy it will allow you to return it if you're not satisfied. (for a
*full* refund, preferably!! "Jacobs, I'm looking in your direction...") ;-)
Also, don't rely on seat-of-the-pants to judge the difference. A smooth
engine may "seem" more powerful, but unless you take it to the
track or put it on a dyno, you're just guessing.

  Good luck with whatever you decide!

                                              -Jon-