re:Removing Window Crank

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 19:46:57 EDT

I just had my CC apart this weekend for speaker replacement.
  The window cranks have a "C" in them that holds them on the shaft.
The clip must be removed (non destructively) to take the crank off.
There is a cheapie tool that does it, most parts stores have it,
its just a flat, 3" wide strip of sheet metal, with a 1/2" slot
down the center, and a couple of notches in it.
 With out it, forget it. Some claim you can slide a rag/shop towel
between the knob and door panel, and snag the end of the C clip,
and yank the clip off that way, but I never could. I got mine by
using a jewelers screwdriver, and catching the tip of the C and slipping
it off that way.
  To re-install, find the C clip, then slip it back on the handle,
the crank shaft has a rounded end, and will spread the clip, as you
press the handle back on. Be sure it is angled the way you like it,
Before the clip snaps into the crank grove