Jules is really OK, was: Power gains, a package

From: O26ON4@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 21:17:42 EDT

<< DML,
 While playing with my R/T, my first computer controlled driveline vehicle, I
 can say that single mods, like headers only are not the answer to
 performance gains in their own right. Since I started taking my truck to
 the track Ive been able to reduce my ETs by almost a second with minimal
 mods, mainly due to the DML. But no single mod got me there, and the
 combination of mods I have still needs to be adjusted. Look at Mopar's R/T
 engine mod package for the 92-96 magnums. You get 50HP, but you need
 headers, cam, air cleaner, computer and etc. to get it! Thats a lot of
 stuff for a noticeable gain. A 10-15 HP gain (like every one claims for
 their particular component) isnt easy to feel on the butt dyno. If you were
 to plop a Magnum perf TB on a stock 318/360 with no other mods, I can easily
 see you loosing a butt dynoed 10HP. Dont do it! Id hope Jules would assist
 the potential buyer with a package of components specifically tailored for
 the end users needs and equipment. If hes not...
 Frank hasnt offered up the big TBs yet since we havnt got any significant
 gains from them at the track. Hes still experimenting with a combination of
 goodies (yes that means more $$) to make it work and keep the air fuel
 mixture in the right "zone". How fast do you want to go? always needs to be
 followed with How fast do you want to spend?
 BKB 15.2 @ $760.00
 (about $1270.00/ for the first second I'd say, the second seconds gonna be
 more...) >>
Bruce,

I second the above thoughts. Since I've been on the DML most members seem to
give Jules credit for his knowledge and abilities and I also agree with them.
Naturally, no small business can compete with AutoZone on an item by item
comparison, however, I'm willing to pay more to someone who knows what they're
selling and can help in the event I have problems, that's called "service" and
IMO, it's worth paying a little extra. Secondly, Jules does give steep
dicounts when selling as a package deal,and as Bruce describes above, "proper"
combinations of parts (packages) make the real power. The incorrect sequence
of installation for performance parts will most likely end up where the result
is less than the sum of the parts. By working with Jules, he's preventing me
from going to the speed shops and buying individual parts from guys who know
less than I do, and that's scary! Jules will probably kill me, but to give an
example of discounting, he sold me the Magnacor wires for $75 as a part of a
package deal, which shows that he is more than willing to work with his
customers. Don't forget the rest of us on the DML have other full time jobs,
whereas selling performance parts is his full time job.
Regards,
Steve Waller in Houston