RE: Aftermarket ignitions (my thoughts)

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 13:36:58 EDT

All of the aftermarket ignitions are pretty much the same (performance
wise). The differences tend to center around features (boost retard, rev
limiter, cost, warranty,
and advertising claims). I tend to like and use the Crane unit (both Hi-6,
and Hi-6TR). The warranty is excellent and the price very good. Just one
additional comment,
none of the aftermarket units with a built in rev. limiter are CARB approved
or certified to be used with OBDII vehicles (96 and newer). The aftermarket
rev. limiters
shut off ignition, whereas the factory limiters shut off fuel, the computer
does this. The aftermarket rev. limiters, when hit, tend to be viewed by the
factory computer
as a mis-fire. We don't care about the short term mis-fire but the emissions
Gods do, so we as customers are supposed to do without. All of the
aftermarket units
will work, at emissions inspection time, you will need to dis-connect .
Again this only applies to 96 and newer vehicles and the use of ignitions
with built in Rev.
limiters......
        Frank