Re: Need help with brakes PLEASE -Reply

From: McStyer@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 23:19:58 EDT

<< Mike:
 Depending upon options, a Dak can pull up to 6,900lbs. The V6 is somewhat
less. Hopefully you have the trailer tow package (bigger rad, class 3 hitch
etc.) and trailer brakes. Shouldn't be any problem if you take it easy and
don't overheat.

I haven't got the tow package, just pulling off the bumper. I wish I knew
exactly what weight that trailer was, but even if it was under 6900, it just
didn't feel safe. I guess that's what my deciding factor should be. The
traile didn't have brakes either, if that's what you're talking about. Just a
plain Jane 20 foot flat bed trailer a friend of the troop lent us from his
lawn mowing business. I think I was taking it easy :) but the egnine temp
barely rose the entire time, which consisted of 70 miles of interstate travel,
30 miles highway, and about 20 miles through a field and on bad gravel roads.

BTW, I took my truck to Midas Monday afternoon and said the problem was with
the ABS, so I'd have to take it to the dealer. I'm gonna check it out using
everyone's suggestions. In the little driving around I have done this week,
the brakes feel fine, and I slammed on the brakes twice, and the rear didn't
lock up. Is the RWABS supposed to make noises when it is functioning, like on
cars with all wheel ABS?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll keep ya'll updated.

Mike S.
1993 V6 5-speed CC